Tuesday, February 26, 2019

[Review] Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith

Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith

Series: Bloodleaf #1
Rating: 3 stars

Format: ARC

Goodreads Synopsis:
Aurelia is the first princess born to the Renalten crown in two hundred years, destined to fulfill a treaty by journeying to marry Valentin, the prince of Achelva – Renalt’s greatest enemy. Rumors of an unwell, cruel prince abound, and the only thing that eclipses Aurelia’s apprehension of her impending marriage is her fear of those who’d kill her to prevent it.
When an assassination attempt forces Aurelia to use forbidden magic to save a stranger, she is driven from Renalt by the witch-hunting Tribunal and a mob out for blood. But before she can claim asylum in the court of her betrothed, her travel party turns on her, forcing her to trade places with her treacherous lady-in-waiting, Lisette.
Now penniless in Achleva and bereft of her identity, Aurelia must decide if she wants to surrender to her new life or fight for her old one, all while navigating the complicated ties binding her to the enigmatic prince, the unquiet ghost of an ancient queen, and a poisonous plant called bloodleaf.
Aurelia is a pawn in a centuries-long game of love, power, and war— and if she can’t extricate herself from it before Lisette marries Valentin in her stead, she may face losses far more devastating than her crown.

I decided to do a group read with my friends for this book. This was... an interesting read, to say the least.

Princess Aurelia is from Renalta, a land that hates blood magic. So to keep her safe, she's whisked away to a neighboring country, Achleva, to marry Prince Valentin. However, trouble and danger is at every corner, and she must disguise herself as a commoner in order to be safe. But once in Achleva, she uncovers a traitorous plot that would bring destruction on both countries. Aurelia and her newfound allies must work together to stop such a catastrophe from occurring.

I just couldn't bring myself to care about what was happening in this book. Honestly the first chapter was what drew me in (it had some Venetian/Nevernight vibes that I really enjoyed). But then afterward it was a slew of information dumping and characters being tossed at me (who died like three chapters later only to come back at some point in the novel). There were proposals, love interests, side character subplots, deaths... you get what I mean, right? There were so many things happening that I didn't know where the author wanted me to focus on. There's forbidden blood magic (that wasn't even explained)! There's a prophecy! There's lots and lots of unnecessary death and bringing back of characters! There's some kind of love shape going on here (was it even a shape?)! There's confusing court intrigue! There's a bloodleaf flower, that either saves you or kills you (it seems like we were never definitive on which). Which all in all could be really cool if you focus on just one thing! 

I mean I could explain what was happening in more detail... but I lost interest very quickly. I read the Wikipedia page for The Goose Girl to understand the references a little bit more clearly. It made sense reading the Wikipedia article over the book... So when things were brought up again later in the story, I had to scratch my head and wonder, was this mentioned previously? Such minuscule details were made important later on, it would make sense to have them be more prevalent! 

There was also a weird amount of conveniences that happened over the course of the book. Aurelia seemed to be really bad at harnessing her powers in the beginning and then she's suddenly super good at stopping bad guys? How? Didn't see that coming. That one herbalist who ended up being needed for the prophecy. Also characters that come back when absolutely necessary. Can someone explain to me the point of Kellan proposing to her? Threeish chapters in? And then not popping up again until the end of the book? An ex-best friend suddenly becoming important for a chapter and then dying at the end of it? A brother who treated her poorly throughout the entire book... and Aurelia wants to save him? Some relationships weren't fully explained, and neither were the characters. 

There was also a weird imbalance between the plot and the numerous other plots (more like derailments). When Aurelia disguises herself as Emilie, she goes and lives with Nathaniel and Kate. There's all this domesticity is covered for the next few chapters... which is fine and all, but the plot... These people end up getting wrapped up into the prophecy for the sake of convenience (like when Kate's ex-lover turns out to be a villain), and even though we do spend more time with these characters, I still couldn't bring myself to care for them. 

I will say that I did care for that one guy who died trying to get over the wall into Achleva. Like poor guy. You didn't have to die for Aurelia's countless dumb mistakes. 

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, but the main heroine was just plain dumb. I can understand flawed characters (and flawed teenagers, because who didn't make mistakes?). But just... *spoilers here*

Who sacrifices their mother to save a dumb boy? Who she wasn't even that interested in until she found out he was the prince? Why? I get being blinded by love... but your mom? Who offered herself up as a sacrifice just in case you screwed up massively? And you actually screwed up? And your mom was okay with dying so you can save this boy? The mother wasn't even a bad character I just pity her so much.  

"This can't be happening," I frantically stammered. "It's my life I meant to sacrifice. Not yours, Mother. This isn't what I wanted to do."
"My sweet girl," she said. And she put her arms around me and held me while I remembered all the times I'd treated her ill, punishing her for what was wrong with my life when everything she'd ever done was to ensure I'd have one. "You wanted to save someone you love, I understand. So do I, dear one. So do I."
She stroked my hair as I clung to her, crying because I'd never get to smell the rosemary soap she used in her hair again and she'd never get to chastise me for all the stupid, reckless things I'd done in Achleva, and because she was only here because I forgot that if I died, someone else would die in my place.
"Mama," I cried. "I'm so, so sorry. I love you."
She smiled, her hand on my cheek. "I know, love. I always knew. Go now and live."
Just this whole scene left me shocked. 

*end spoilers*

To summarize Aurelia, and how I felt about this book as a whole, here is a quote. 

"Angry? Angry doesn't begin to cover what I'm feeling at this moment, you stupid, stupid girl." 

No comments:

Post a Comment