Friday, October 25, 2019

[Review] Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider

Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider

Rating: 4 stars 

Published: May 3rd 2016

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Warm Hawaiian sun. Lazy beach days. Flirty texts with her boyfriend back in Seattle.
These are the things seventeen-year-old Sloane McIntyre pictured when she imagined the summer she’d be spending at her mom’s home in Hawaii with her twin brother, Penn. Instead, after learning an unthinkable secret about her boyfriend, Tyler, and best friend, Mick, all she has is a fractured hand and a completely shattered heart.
Once she arrives in Honolulu, though, Sloane hopes that Hawaii might just be the escape she needs. With beach bonfires, old friends, exotic food, and the wonders of a waterproof cast, there’s no reason Sloane shouldn’t enjoy her summer. And when she meets Finn McAllister, the handsome son of a hotel magnate who doesn’t always play by the rules, she knows he’s the perfect distraction from everything that’s so wrong back home.
But it turns out a measly ocean isn’t nearly enough to stop all the emails, texts, and voicemails from her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend, desperate to explain away their betrayal. And as her casual connection with Finn grows deeper, Sloane’s carefree summer might not be as easy to find as she’d hoped. Weighing years of history with Mick and Tyler against their deception, and the delicate possibility of new love, Sloane must decide when to forgive, and when to live for herself.
A novel about moving on, accepting, and finding yourself, as corny as it sounds. This really pulled at my heart - though not really for the romance, but for the loss of friendship, as Sloane struggles to put herself together after her best friend and boyfriend sleep together twice behind her back, and now her best friend is pregnant. But luckily for Sloane, she can avoid her troubles over the summer when she goes to Hawaii to stay with her mom, and runs into old friends and new. One new friend, Finn, might be just the guy to help her get over her ex-boyfriend, Tyler. But Finn has some skeletons in his closet.


I just felt so bad for Sloane the whole book. Girl went through so much, and was gaslighted by her terrible ex-best friend into thinking it was her fault. Terrible friend. I'm glad that there was closure on Tyler's part. Still, both were terrible people. 

One part of my brain wants to rationalize why they did what they did. How Mick could so blatantly step over that line and destroy a friendship fifteen years in the making. How Tyler could throw away everything we had. Not just the last year, but the last decade and then some. It makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me, if both my best friend and my boyfriend decided I wasn't worth it, after all the times I've been there for both of them. And now I realize how little I mean to her. How little I mean to them both.
Especially for them to do it twice. - p. 60

There were a lot of terrible people in this book, actually. Lots of cheating and suspected cheating going on - so a part of me is still really iffy that the HEA had to happen and be romantic. I was more focused on Sloane accepting herself and learning from the whole experience! These were the parts I liked. It reminded me of how I was processing loss of friendship several months ago, and how my therapist told me to just let myself feel sad. I really felt for these scenes were Sloane was reflecting. 

Every text, every e-mail, every voice mail makes me feel something different. Today I feel nothing but sad. Sad because I actually miss Tyler and Mick. Sad because I know Mick is probably dealing with all of this by herself. And sad because I don't know if I should talk to them or just leave it alone for the summer. - p. 73

I mean, it reads like one of those summer beach reads were there's so much drama - but literally, everyone but Sloane was caught up in it. Poor girl. 

Summer of Sloane was a sweet summer read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment