Friday, November 1, 2019

[Review] The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

Series: Montague Siblings #1
Rating: 5 stars

Published: June 27th 2017

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.
But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.
Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.
Because three months later, I still continue to love Good Omens, if you loved the show/book/radio broadcast as much as I did, you're going to love Gentleman's Guide.

Henry 'Monty' Montague, his best friend/long time crush Percy, and his younger sister Felicity, embark on a grand Tour of Europe. Monty initially thinks this would be the perfect time to spend with Percy before he goes off on law school, and to spend the year doing any sort of sordid debauchery. But he is wrong - his father wants him to use the time to mature into a proper lord. However, plans change when Monty steals a small box from the Duke of Bourbon. Now on the run from hired men seeking the box, Monty and his friends have a different kind of tour, one full of pirates, alchemy, and dead people.

Monty was hilarious. Reading this story, I really got a feel for Monty's voice and had a good laugh on more than one occasion. At times, he's grating and selfish, yes, but his charm grew on me as he matured. 

Some examples of Monty's wit. 

"I don't think it's a good idea to be courting trouble, is all."
"We're not courting trouble," I say. "Flirting with it, at most." - p. 252

"It's 'Take away the stone' or something like that, but my version is a bit better."
"Did you say your version is a bit better than the Bible?"
"Well, the Bible's stale." - p. 261

He's supposed to be entirely a rake, but that hides a lot of the trauma and abuse Monty had growing up from his father. 

There are bodies buried beneath the flagstones of my parents' estate, and some graves are never green. - p. 211

Also the slow pining for his friend Percy! My heart. Watching these two lovebirds dance around each other made me think of a certain angel and demon... 


The great tragic love story of Percy and me is neither great nor truly a love story, and is tragic only for its single-sideness. - p. 28

"So if things can't be the same between us, can they at least not be terrible. You're not permitted to be strange and uncomfortable around me now."
"So long as you don't go falling in love with me."
I don't know why I say it. Call it battlements around my helpless heart. Percy looks away from me fast, shoulders curling up. It almost looks like a flinch. But then he says, "I'll try my best." - p. 192

For all the jesting that occurred, Lee does take the opportunity to touch down on issues that were prevalent for the period - racism, sexism, and homophobia being the main ones. 

"You were caught with a woman and then you left here there? Monty, you tomcat!"
"She'll be find. They didn't chase me down."
"Because you're a man."
"So?"
"It's different for women. No one condemns a man for that sort of thing, but she'll carry that with her." - p. 96

Another important thing Lee does, and we certainly don't have enough of these in YA, is have a science-loving heroine. Felicity's love of books and medicine made me think of myself (though I no longer necessarily have a love for medicine); I think she would be a great role model.

"I'd rather study medicine than go to finishing school. That's what I wanted. But they don't let girls into universities. Girls go to finishing school and boys go to medical school." - p. 166 - 167

I will say, one of my favorite parts (and there are so many, honestly) is the running joke of Percy's indestructible fiddle. 

Anyhow, this was a fun read! I can't wait to read the sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment