Friday, February 3, 2017

Raisa's Recap: Best Books of 2016

I haven't had much time to blog lately... but I've been trying to get back into the habit. I never discussed my favorite books of 2016, nor did I reach my goal of 100 books read on Goodreads (but I was pretty close!). Better late than never, no?

Favorites of 2016


1. Sci-fi
Starflight by Melissa Landers 
This was one heck of a ride, and one of the books I read earlier in 2016. The dynamic between Solara and Dorian was witty and a pleasure to read. I can't wait for its sequel, Starfall.
"Rule number one, I'll keep the stunner," he said, holding out his palm. The weapon might come in handy if the crew discovered his identity."No way." She pressed a protective hand to her side pocket. "How do I know you won't use it on me?""Because unlike you, I'm not a lowlife convict." When she hesitated, he told her, "This is nonnegotiable.""Fine. It only has one use left anyway." She tossed the button-like device into the air between them. "Rule number two," Solara said. "We're not sleeping together."A snort of derision tore from his throat. "As if I'd share a bed with you.""Then enjoy the floor."

2. Historical fiction
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Very hard to pick for this category because I read many good books that took place in WWII Europe. In the end, I settled with Code Name Variety, for the friendship between Julie and Maddie is something that still resonates strongly to me.

"Kiss me Hardy! Kiss me QUICK!" 

3. Contemporary
The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis  
So relevant at this very moment and so extremely powerful and evocative. It brought shivers to me as I read and perfectly encapsulated the anger all women face from such shameful treatment.
"Venting your primal self in an emotional moment can be more than your socially constructed self can handle after the fact," Alex says, her eyes gliding over me. "Look at you. Your hands are shaking. Your voice is weak. And your conscience is reasserting itself." 
4. Best End to a Series
Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
I finished many series last year, and one of my favorites was the Six of Crows series. It wrapped up in such a way that I can't wait for spinoffs, and it was a very realistic note to end on, while still albeit bittersweet.
“Crows remember human faces. They remember the people who feed them, who are kind to them. And the people who wrong them too. They don’t forget. They tell each other who to look after and who to watch out for.” 
5. Best series read
Shades of Magic by Victoria Schwab
Victoria Schwab is queen and I met her last year at NYCC in my Lila cosplay! Her books are phenomenal, Shades of Magic particularly. Lila Bard struck me as someone I aspire to be - a true badass.

"I'd rather die on an adventure than live standing still."

6. Best romance
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh 
This retelling of A Thousand and One Nights is splendid, and the tale Ahdieh spins of Shahrzad and Khalid is beautiful and spine-tingling.

 “People fall in and out of love with the rising and setting of the sun. Rather like a boy who loves the color green one day, only to discover on the morrow that he truly prefers blue.” 

There were so many good books for so many categories; it was definitely hard to choose! I hope 2017 has just as many awesome books to read. 

What were your favorites of 2016? 

2 comments: