Friday, August 10, 2018

[Review] Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales #1) by Holly Black

Tithe by Holly Black

Series: Modern Faerie Tales #1
Rating: 4 stars

Published: 2002

Goodreads Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.


I love how Holly Black writes fae - it's just so immersive and beautiful. Plus there's a ton of complexities to uncover about the courts and their inner workings so each plot twist was carefully hidden and well done.

It also takes place in NJ/NY so I totally love the urban vibes. The Cruel Prince started me on this fae-train so now I can't stop reading about faeries.


Kaye Fierch lives a very nomadic lifestyle since her mom is a constantly moving her from place to place; for now she's settled in NJ and spends time with her friends - Janet and her brother Cornelius (or Corny). She has the ability to see these 'imaginary' creatures, Lutie-Loo, Spike, and Gristle. Her semi-normal life comes to a close when she comes across Roiben, a faery knight who killed Gristle. She learns his true name and the war between the Night and Bright faerie courts, and is suddenly thrust in the middle of this war.

I was looking for a good romance and I found it. I love Kaye and Roiben - they're snippy and hilarious together, but also incredibly sweet. I like all the romances in Holly Black's books.
Roiben's eyes darkened with fury. "Rath Roiben Rye, much may the knowledge please you."
Her eyes narrowed. "It's a nice name."
"You are too clever by half. Too clever for your own good, I think."
"Kiss my ass, Rath Roiben Rye."
He grabbed her by the arm before she even saw him move. She raised her hand to ward off the coming blow. Her threw her forward. She shrieked. Her hand and knee connected with the stone floor. She looked up, expecting to see the gleam of a sword, but instead he pulled her jeans hard at the waistband and pressed his mouth against the exposed swell of her hip.
And snarky!Roiben is just plain funny.

"Perhaps I could offer my enthusiasm," he said. "You have oft complained of its lack."

As I said before, there's just so many twists and turns that Holly Black carefully folded into here. I didn't see them coming.

Her faerie world is so immersive it makes me wonder if there are fae among us.

This is also the first time I binged a series in one go. I usually read series nonconsecutively. Onto Valiant's review, which will be up Monday 8 am EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment