Wednesday, December 4, 2019

[Review] Amber & Dusk by Lyra Selene

Amber & Dusk by Lyra Selene

Series: Amber & Dusk #1
Rating: 3.5 stars

Published: November 27th 2018

Goodreads Synopsis:
Sylvie has always known she deserves more. Out in the permanent twilight of the Dusklands, her guardians called her power to create illusions a curse. But Sylvie knows it gives her a place in Coeur d'Or, the palais of the Amber Empress and her highborn legacies.
So Sylvie sets off toward the Amber City, a glittering jewel under a sun that never sets, to take what is hers.
But her hope for a better life is quickly dimmed. The empress invites her in only as part of a wicked wager among her powerful courtiers. Sylvie must assume a new name, Mirage, and begin to navigate secretive social circles and deadly games of intrigue in order to claim her spot. Soon it becomes apparent that nothing is as it appears and no one, including her cruel yet captivating sponsor, Sunder, will answer her questions. As Mirage strives to assume what should be her rightful place, she'll have to consider whether it is worth the price she must pay.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The moment I found out it had an enemies to lovers trope in it, I was all for what followed. Plus, I thought that the journey of a heroine to reclaim her inner strength is a tried and true quest of both physical and emotional growth.


Sylvie has been told her whole life that her ability to cast illusions is a cursed one. But she believes she's destined for more, and seeks out the Coeur d'Or to learn more about her powers. But the Coeur d'Or and its bourgeoisie are full of intrigue and deceit. Sylvie, now using the name Mirage, must distinguish friend from foe in this deadly court.

What I liked about this book was that Sylvie is distinctly flawed. She's arrogant and ambitious, even at times selfish, and she's utterly brazen about it. She's not afraid to do what it takes to get what she wants. I know some people might dislike this, but the fact that she is so passionate about what she wants makes her all the more a compelling character.

"So what?" The words burst from me louder than I expected. "What's wrong with being ambitious? I do want a world full of beauty and grace. I do want power. And what's more, I deserve it. It's my birthright, and I'll be damned if I don't claim what's mine!" (43)

Even when she's knocked down a ledge, she isn't afraid to get back up. Her ego will take a bruise or two, but she's got so much motivation.

"You're ambitious," Dowser remarked. "You're arrogant. Perhaps even a little cruel. Whatever gave you the idea that you were owed so much, when you offer so little?" (110)

Amber and Dusk also deals with the theme of being an outcast and the conflict of finding somewhere you feel like you belong in, mixed in with political intrigue in a very 17th century France-esque world. Sylvie begins to see the social inequality between the nobles and the poor. Even within the nobility is a fragile structure that bends its will to the empress, Severine (who parallels the infamous Marie Antoinette).

Wanting something badly enough doesn't make it real. And it certainly doesn't make it right. (276)

Once these layers meshed with a touch of historical parallels were set into the world, that's when I started enjoying this more and more. And to top it off, the slow burn romance was fantastic.

"So you don't mind," I managed, "if I'm a monster?"
"No." He rocked closer, and his closeness sent a thread of desire stitching up my spine. "Because I'm a monster too." (316)

I do wish that the supporting characters were given more room to grow, even with their limited roles. Thibo, Mender, and Lullaby had so much potential. It especially irked me when (spoiler alert) queer characters had to die. Stop burying our gays, please. It doesn't drive the plot forward.

At times, the writing was overly wrought with purple prose that didn't do it justice, using twenty words to describe something that should have been brought down to five descriptors.

I would read the sequel - hoping it's even better than the first.


No comments:

Post a Comment